Blue Whale and other whales
Blue Whale: Whales are marine mammals that excite expectation and amaze those who have ever seen them. But let us know more details of this impressive animal.
1) Did you know that your skull can measure up to a third of the length of your body? That is, if its length was about 17 meters its head would be 5.6 meters.
2) The fish usually have their tail in a vertical plane, but the whales rebel and their tail is arranged horizontally, which allows them to ascend quickly to the surface.
3) A relief if we consider that whales need to breathe air at least every hour.
4) Their nostrils, or spiracles, are in their head and depending on the type of whale can be 1 or 2, there they expel escorted water that is usually accompanied by mucus, as if they will be sounded or sneezed.
5) And although it has tremendous pits its sense of the smell is very little developed and its vision is not luxury that we say, for that reason they communicate by means of the sounds.
6) Although let me tell you that they do not have vocal cords, they sing to everything that gives but according to the season of the year. And each herd has its own song that can last up to thirty minutes. As they are so united, the males sing at the same time.
7) It must be something to entertain while they make their long migrations from the cold seas, where they feed, to the warm, where they mate and breed. One point in their favor is that they are cosmopolitan and can survive anywhere (speaking of the clear sea).
8) And while the smaller species reaches barely 2.5 meters in length and can weigh up to 272 kilograms, the blue whale stretches up to more than 30 meters and reaches 200 tons of weight, so you get an idea is as much as 33 elephants.
9) They can live in the coldest waters but are still warm-blooded mammals. The thick layer of fat they possess isolates the cold and allows them to move on.
10) They take about 12 months to be born and their life expectancy varies according to the species, although around 30 to 85 years.